Re: Building libcurl for DOS

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 10:57:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016, Andy Pont wrote:

> I need to be able to add the ability to make https calls to a web server and
> so I am guessing I need to compile libcurl as a static library with HTTP
> support and a suitable SSL/TLS library and very little else to keep the size
> down which I can then link into my application.
>
> My questions are...
>
> Will libcurl work in a 16bit real mode DOS environment?

libcurl is written to assume at least 32bit ints, so you're up for a struggle
to support 16 bit ints.

> What does libcurl need in the way of API for communicating with the network
> stack? It has a basic API and a BSD sockets compliant API.

libcurl has been built for DOS variants several times in the past so while it
might need some minor fixes to make sure it is still up to snuff, I think the
fundaments are there and work fine even under DOS.

> Is OpenSSL the way to go or are there smaller options for an SSL/TLS library
> that will work in this environment?

I have no idea which TLS library that is the most suitable for your
environment. Check your options and pick the smallest one of them that libcurl
already supports perhaps?