Building libcurl for DOS

From: Andy Pont <andy.pont_at_sdcsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:34:50 +0100

Hello all,

Fear not, you haven't all woken up back in 1996. I am working on a refresh
to an embedded system that still runs DOS with a packet driver based TCP/IP
network stack and a real mode application compiled using the OpenWatcom
compiler.

I need to be able to add the ability to make https calls to a web server and
so I am guessing I need to compile libcurl as a static library with HTTP
support and a suitable SSL/TLS library and very little else to keep the size
down which I can then link into my application.

My questions are...

Will libcurl work in a 16bit real mode DOS environment?

What does libcurl need in the way of API for communicating with the network
stack? It has a basic API and a BSD sockets compliant API.

Is OpenSSL the way to go or are there smaller options for an SSL/TLS library
that will work in this environment?

Thanks,

-Andy.