RE: patch release tomorrow

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 19:43:40 +0100

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> > I also appreciate this is a little subjective but I would have thought
> > adding support for NTLM with mbedTLS is also a new functionality -
> > previously NTLM wasn't supported with mbedTLS so I wouldn't class that as a
> > bug fix.
>
> That's of course a matter of defintion and while it perhaps isn't strictly a
> bug that was fixed, since it was very much deliberate. But I consider it a bug
> when a particualr backend doesn't support the full feature set so when we fix
> that it is a bug fix. I don't view it as a real "change" either since
> supporting NTLM is something we've done for decades.
I understand your view point and I won't argue with that - its half a dozen of one and 6 of the other in my opinion.
> Tricky.
I did say it was subjective ;-)
> > It seems to me that, those 4 weeks of testing and bug fixing aren't going to
> > be used as well as they could be. With regards to testing there hasn't been
> > much added since the last weeks release so not a huge amount of stuff to
> > test.
>
> I beg to differ. We're constantly behind on bug fixing (and associated tests)
> so even without anything added we still have lots of things to fix and test.
> Just see the KNOWN_BUGS and the open issues. Several of those have been around
> for a long time and I struggle to keep up.
I know the bugs are building up and sorry for not being around lately. For what it's worth I have a fix for Kerberos 5 (GSS-API) authentication being selected and failing when no domain selected but I need to push it in two parts. However, I'm not sure I have my HTTP logic correct yet so need to retest that and not found the time the last couple of weekends :(
> I would agree that we're probably not that many people doing this kind of
> debug and test work, so the bugfixing period may actually be taken by some (or
> many) as a hint to go procrastinate until the feature window opens again but
> I'm not sure that's a very good argument for us to change habits.
You knew where I was coming from with that ;-)
> >> So, do you or anyone else want another week for adding features until we
> >> close that for the next release?
> >
> > Please - and it the chance for other features to drop in as well.
>
> Absolutely! The feature window is hereby extended one week - it'll now close
> on August 17. Let's try to keep the pending release date at September 7th
> anyway.
Thank you - and that might the better solution moving forward, is we cut a week off both halves if we release a patch two weeks after a release or a week off the testing time if we eat into the next release by a week.
Kind Regards
Steve