Re: CoAP support in libcurl for the Internet of Things

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 00:08:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, Joachim Bauernberger wrote:

> would there be any plans or roadmap to integrate support for CoAP in
> libcurl? It was once proposed in 2013[0] but it was very early stages back
> then.

It has been proposed before, yes. I've not seen anyone get sold enough on the
idea to actually provide time and energy to make it happen. I'd estimate it to
be a significant chunk of work so it'd take someone with a real desire and use
case to pull it through.

The only attempt to roadmap that we have in this project is this:
https://curl.haxx.se/dev/roadmap.html - which is just mine and Steve's ideas
of what we wanted to work on when we last updated that document. Then there's
the TODO document (https://curl.haxx.se/docs/todo.html) that lists ideas that
could worth exloring further. None of them include CoAP =)

> because of lack of support in the popular libraries, most implementation's
> are either commercial and/or reinvent the wheel in some way.

I consider the lack of interest to implement this into "the popular libraries"
to tell something as well. I am personally a skeptic of the long-term future
for the stripped down versions of real protocols that I consider CoAP to be a
representative of.

> libcurl seems an awesome place to handle this.

I wouldn't mind exploring that and see how it could be done and get
integrated, but I'm not personally going to do all the work. It's not a use
case for me *personally* that I have a need for.