Re: Forcing curl auto_decoding

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 23:52:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 7 May 2016, Mike Hommey wrote:

> Is there any way I can trick libcurl into doing the decoding as if the
> response headers indicated the stream is deflated? It would be a bummer if I
> need to handle the inflate on my own, duplicating functionality that is
> already there in libcurl...

I can't think of any way to trick the existing libcurl into doing this.

- But what's their reason for not including the HTTP header in the response
that would be signal enough for a HTTP client to figure this out in the first
place? I mean, even if we'd think of a way to add this feature to libcurl for
cases like this, there could still be others out there who'd like to use
another HTTP client and they might then easily face the same problem again,
ending up in lots of changes being necessary when the server could easily be
made more HTTP friendly...

- Thinking about possible ways we could potentially introduce to make libcurl
support this, it struck me that it could possibly be cool to offer a way for
an application to inject response headers to libcurl as if they arrived from
the server, so that a client could change behaviors like in your case. I
haven't thought it through fully, but it could certainly be a way that would
be a somewhat generic feature to alter libcurl's behaviors to specific server