Re: CODE_STYLE

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 12:28:43 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> Regarding "No space before parentheses". That's okay.

[background]

We once had a mix of space and non-space before parentheses, and when I then
counted and compared, we had more occurances of the non-space than with-space
so we took the non-space route for consistency.

> But IMHO this is *not* okay:
> return (env[0] != '\0')?strdup(env):NULL;
>
> (from getenv.c etc).
>
> IMHO a rule for that specifies "adding spaces for easier reading".
> Hence:
> return (env[0] != '\0') ? strdup(env) : NULL;

Yes! I would agree that your latter version is easier on the eye and thus a
better way to express that code.

Maybe expressed like this:

   "Please use space on both sides of operators in C expressions"

Postfix ((), [], ->, ., ++, --) and Unary (+, - !, ~, & etc) operators
excluded of course. Like:

     bla = func();
     who = name[0];
     age += 1;