libcurl buffer for SFTP

From: Vrajesh N. Patel via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 23:22:45 +0000 (UTC)

I have been using libcurl on CentOS/RHEL Linux for FTP transfers for several years but now need to switch to SFTP. Using the latest version (7.45.0) still gives performance issues. I've read multiple threads in the libcurl archive along with Daniel's blog post:
http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2014/05/14/why-sftp-is-still-slow-in-curl/

The blog post described altering the buffer size from the default 16k. I would prefer to alter the buffer size for only SFTP uploads but I need a bit of help figuring out which file/function to alter. If I were to make the fix and rebuild the library, would I make the fix in lib/ssh.c? Which function(s) would need to be altered?The easier change to make is to set CURL_MAX_WRITE_SIZE to 512k, but I'm not sure if anyone experienced adverse effects when doing FTP transfers (upload or download) on a Linux platform with that large of a buffer? Thanks!

-Vrajesh