Re: CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION with OPENSSL returns SSL_CTX instead of SSL

From: Ray Satiro via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 01:11:55 -0400

On 10/7/2015 9:10 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2015, Rich Gray wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, CURLINFO_TLS_SSL_PTR seems more meaningful to me
>> than CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION_V2. For maximum clarity, maybe
>> CURLINFO_TLS_CTX_PTR could be added as an alias for
>> CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION and the later "depreciated".
>
> I'm with Rich here.
>
> We need to consider the long term and "v2" will not age well so ten
> years down the line this will leave people wondering about the v1. I
> prefer a clear name that can stand on its own, which makes
> CURLINFO_TLS_SSL_PTR better in my eyes.

Reviewing this thread we seem to be about evenly split here.
CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION_V2 I prefer because it's basically the same as
CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION but with the fix for OpenSSL. CURLINFO_TLS_SSL_PTR
also has the fix but is less appealing to me because it only returns the
pointer and not a CURLSSLBACKEND define indicating the SSL backend. We
could take the CURLINFO_TLS_SESSION_V2 and rename it
CURLINFO_TLS_SSL_PTR and do some minor doc work, but then it's not
directly returning an SSL pointer.

The feature window I assume will be closing next week or soon after and
I think it would be good if we could all agree on something to land this
before it closes since the OpenSSL SSL pointer isn't exposed currently.
Also as I mentioned in some other post I'm unclear about the right
pointer for Apple's SecureTransport. I recall my read of their docs was
their CTX is unique and basically their version of an SSL type pointer,
so that's what I used but I'm not sure.

Anyone else want to take a look?

https://github.com/jay/curl/compare/master...jay:curlinfo_tls_ssl_ptr?expand=1
https://github.com/jay/curl/compare/master...jay:curlinfo_tls_session_v2?expand=1