Re: Building for AmigaOS

From: Chris Young <chris.young_at_unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk>
Date: 20 Jan 2015 19:39:50 +0000

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:06:28 +0100 (CET), Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> > It's easy enough to resolve this at the curl end, by casting the potentially
> > errorneous calculation to a signed long (see attachment).
>
> I merged and pushed that one now.

Thanks.

> > The second issue, which is the long-standing one, is that modern OS releases
> > and C libraries don't need bsdsocket.library opening manually, as the C
> > library can handle this. This means the #ifdef in amigaos.c/h needs to be
> > revised. As this is now the odd case, I suggest adding a check to Configure
> > for the amitcp/socketbasetags.h header, and only enabling that code if it is
> > present. Note there is a select/WaitSelect definition in curl_setup.h, and
> > an Amiga-specific in tool_operate.c, which also need to be removed (see
> > attachments) if building using the C library functions.
>
> I'm not sure I follow here. Are you saying that the suggested patch should be
> applied no matter what to build for Amiga?

If you mean the attached one, no. That was just an example to point
out which #ifdefs I was referring to.

> When it comes to doing things to
> configure and adjusting the build for Amiga I'm all for that but we really
> need either an Amiga user to do that and verify that it gets right, or even
> better an Amiga build added to the autobuilds system so that others can verify
> that the build goes through.

Yes, agreed. I've only built here for AmigaOS 4 (which *requires*
that code to be removed) and AmigaOS 3 against clib2 (which doesn't
need it). Against libnix or ixemul or other c libraries it's likely
that it might be required.

It's a bit of a mish-mash which is why I suggested checking for
amitcp/socketbasetags.h. Maybe something in config-amigaos.h to switch
between the two build types might be better? The default can be left
as-is, but it will avoid having to patch a number of files when the C
library is providing the network interface.

> My guess is that you find that many other fellow Amiga hackers working on curl
> these days... :-/

No, but the library certainly gets used.

> > Lastly, in curl 7.40.0 there is some IPv6 specific code which is
> > getting compiled in even with IPv6 disabled:
>
> I pushed a fix for that just now, it'd be great if you tested it. Clearly the
> number of users building curl without ipv6 support nowadays is shrinking as
> you're the first to report this!

That's probably a good thing! The fix is working, thanks.

Chris