Re: libcurl.res : format not recognized

From: HiLow <hi.low_at_laposte.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:19:46 +0100

Subject: Re: libcurl.res : format not recognized
From: HiLow <hi.low_at_laposte.net>

In article <546A8726.6050108_at_gknw.net>, lists_at_gknw.net says...
> > libcurl.res: file not recognized: File format not recognized
> > collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> > mingw32-make[1]: *** [libcurl.dll] Error 1
> sounds to me that this TDM toolchain is somehow broken ...

It well works for my projects with 32 and 64-bit targets using this same
TDM MingW64. Nevertheless (it could have some importance), I don't use the
last release (4.8 or more, don't remember), but the 4.7.1.

> using the static makefiles with MinGW(64) is not mandatory, but just a
> quick method to build without configure ...
> if you want to have install targets I'd suggest you use MSYS/MinGW and
> set your target through --host ...

Hummm, not an option for me since my project and others libs that I
periodically update are currently all built using native MinGW. Or course,
the big disadvantage is not to take advantage of configure, I agree.

> I do use these static makefiles to build both 32 and 64 bit targets with
> various build options, but I use the normal MinGW and MinGW64 toolchains
> and not the TDM one since I had problems with this too when I tried it a
> while ago ...

:) Funny since I have the reciprocal experience. In the past I was with
the regular MinGW (32-bit only at this epoch) and I switched to TDM flavor
because of issues with a big lib my current project is based-on
(wxWidgets). So, of course I prefer to avoid to break my working
environment (not a matter of religion, but a simple pragmatic approach.

But I see another reply from you and it sounds good (I go to reply just
now)...

Eric