RE: pop3 commands hang beside LIST

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 16:34:53 +0000

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014, Tural Ismayilzade wrote:

> The following is the code snippet that i am trying to fetch email from
mail server by
> libcurls easy interface.

That was a rather large "snippet" :-P

> However, it hangs indefinitely. It seems that after issuing QUIT command
libcurl does
> not issue FIN, ACK. After hitting CTRL^C it sends FIN, ACK. I have checked
for all pop3
> commands. This happens on all commands but LIST. Please help.

Is the QUIT command definitely being sent?

I would expect libcurl to wait for data when it is expecting to receive data
from the server after a command such as LIST or RETR. However if the QUIT
command has definitely been sent, then we have got past that and all is good
from an application layer point of view.

Note: The POP3 server doesn't send any data for commands like DELE [1] so we
have to tell libcurl not to wait with CURLOPT_NOBODY [2] but if you are
trying to do a simple message retrieval then we don't need this.

Are you able to run the command line version of curl against the server to
see what is happening?

curl -v pop3://host/1 -u username:password

Also what version of libcurl are you using?

Kind Regards

Steve

[1] = http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/pop3-dele.html
[2] = http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/CURLOPT_NOBODY.html