Re: Failures while building on cygwin

From: David Chapman <dcchapman_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 11:49:18 -0700

On 9/26/2014 10:57 AM, Guenter wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> On 26.09.2014 19:48, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> this must be some cygwin quirk. I guess, I have to inquire with the
>> cygwmin mailing list.
> indeed. I would try to re-install the c-development package (the one
> which contains gcc, ld, ar, etc.); perhaps this helps ...
>
> Günter.

Cygwin installation is finely grained; I have /usr/bin/ar but not
/usr/bin/gcc. I installed Cygwin to use the X Window System. I didn't
ask to install any development packages, though I got some anyway due to
dependencies (ddd was installed even though I didn't ask for it, and so
I got gdb). In theory, asking for the Cygwin C compiler tool chain
package should be enough, but it is possible that some additional
packages may be necessary (which would be a mistake in Cygwin; it
shouldn't be possible to get gcc but not ar).

--
     David Chapman      dcchapman_at_acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA