credits in the curl project

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 22:41:32 +0200 (CEST)

Friends!

When we receive patches, improvements, suggestions, advice and whatever that
lead to a change in curl or libcurl, I make an effort to log the contributor's
name in association with that change. Ideally, I add a line in the commit
message. We use "Reported-by: <full name>" quite frequently but also other
forms of "...-by: <full name>" too like when there was an original patch by
someone or testing and similar. It shouldn't matter what the nature of the
contribution is, if it helped us it is a contribution and we say thanks!

I want all patch providers and all of us who have push rights to use this
approach so that we give credit where credit is due. Giving credit is the only
payment we can offer in this project and we should do it with generosity.

When contributors donĒt provide a real name but only a nick name like
foobar123, user_5678 and so on I tend to consider that as request to not
include the personĒs name anywhere and hence I tend to not include it in the
THANKS or RELEASE-NOTES. This also sometimes the result of me not always
wanting to bother by asking people over and over again for their real name in
case they want to be given proper and detailed credit for what theyĒve
provided to us.

So please, if you help us out, we will happily credit you, but please tell us
your name!

(I also posted this with some more details over at
http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2014/08/25/credits-in-the-curl-project/)