Re: Call for libcurl cmake users/maintainers!

From: Ray Satiro <raysatiro_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:03:40 -0400

On 8/25/2014 6:46 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
>>> We are willing to proceed on this but first it'd be nice to get some
>>> feedback. I tried to keep the changes as small, easy-to-review commits.
>>
>> That's lovely. I'm not personally a suitable reviewer for cmake stuff
>> but I hope one or two who are fluent in cmake will step up and at
>> least offer a comment on your series...
>
> As nobody responded, I've pushed your patch series as I trust that's
> at least better than before. It still shows a lack of interest in
> cmake though from libcurl hackers in general.

I'm using Steve Holme's projects now since cmake support was deprecated.
I'll probably keep doing that since I can't volunteer time to maintain
cmake for windows. There is an issue I reported earlier this year [1]
that USE_WIN32_LARGE_FILES isn't defined. The cmake projects use
curl_config.h not config-win32.h. USE_WIN32_LARGE_FILES is in
curl_config.h.cmake but there is no logic in CMakeLists.txt similar to
what's in config-win32.h to turn it on. (Side note: I don't know why it
says "Define to 1 if you are building a Windows target without large
file support" for USE_WIN32_LARGE_FILES.. I thought the whole point of
that define was for large file support?).

The conditionals from config-win32 could be rewritten in cmake language
but then either time one was updated the other probably would need to be
too. Another idea is some of the defines that are always the same not
compiler specific or otherwise conditional for windows could go in a
separate file that could be included by both cmake's curl_config.h and
config-win32.h, but that kind of defeats the point of cmake I guess. For
example you could test recvfrom in cmake but you're fairly certain it's
going to be available so in config-win32 it is always on and that could
go in a file shared by both. Or just always include config-win32 for
(WIN32) although again this idea is defeating the point of cmake. I'll
try adding a USE_WIN32_LARGE_FILES conditional to CMakeLists.txt tonight.

[1]: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2014-01/0007.html