RE: Call for libcurl cmake users/maintainers!

From: Jakub Zakrzewski <jzakrzewski_at_e2e.ch>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:16:28 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: curl-library [mailto:curl-library-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se] On Behalf Of Daniel Stenberg
Sent: Mittwoch, 30. Juli 2014 00:19
To: libcurl development
Subject: Re: Call for libcurl cmake users/maintainers!

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014, Jakub Zakrzewski wrote:

> we already have a CMake-based build system for our product and we'd
> really would like to extend it to also build our dependencies. Right
> now we build everything manually on each platform, what is a pain.

The alternatives to cmake that we already have are not "doing everything manually" though!

> Therefore we're planning to start building curl with cmake instead of
> separate scripts for each platform.

... and that assumes the cmake build is actually good enough for you!

> Not ot mention, that one can open a CMake-enabled things as a project
> or generate project files for a number of IDEs.

I'm not saying anything against cmake as a tool and technology in general. I'm only talking about its continued existance as a "supported" build system for curl and libcurl.

Hi.

Since we really want to have CMake as (lib)curl build system I've started working on this. With the attached patches I am able to build on at least 64-bit linux and windows using OpenSSL, OpenLDAP, LibSSH2, zlib. This is basically the configuration we use in our product. Those builds pass our regression tests.

I have also setup jobs on our internal CI. Right now they run of course on our copy of the curl repo.

We realize, that this is far from finished but one have to start with something, right?

The required version of CMake i 2.8 however there are few bugs regarding FindOpenSSL which appear to be resolved in 2.8.12.2 so I'd recommend at least this version.

We are willing to proceed on this but first it'd be nice to get some feedback. I tried to keep the changes as small, easy-to-review commits.

--
Gruesse,
Jakub