Re: docs (was Re: the survey summary)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 19:49:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Clemens Gruber wrote:

> 1) The libcurl docs are very good as a reference, but not so much for
> learning how or when to use libcurl. Guides would be great. Example project:
> Rails (http://guides.rubyonrails.org) (Showcases in tutorial-style for the
> most important use cases, something between reference, examples and a
> tutorial) I’d also restructure the docs website: Guides (with subsections)
> should be an important category besides the API reference, the examples and
> the FAQ.

I agree that this would be a nice addition. I've tried to write such
documentation, like here:

  http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-tutorial.html

  http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-easy.html

  http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-multi.html

Those in combination with our numerous example source codes I thought should
guide most people in a fairly good direction.

But I guess these are also too much of reference-style. I'm suspecting I'm not
the right person to write such a guide.

> 2) If a beginner calls curl -—help

Yeah, that's a problem. I intend to experiment with splitting that up somehow.

Another deeper question is if we should design the command line interface
differently to make it easier to use and easier to grow old with. After all,
we add new command line options at a current rate of around 10 new per year or
so.