Re: getpwuid_r on Solaris and _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 19:48:59 +0200

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 07:18:22PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Dan Fandrich wrote:
>
> >Problem is, this change broke curl compiles out-of-the-box for
> >Solaris. We need to do something by the time of this release.
>
> My gut says we back out that particular commit for the release, then
> we merge it again post-release with some _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS
> magic added and polish that approach for the next one.
>
> Opinions?

This is a potentially serious threading issue, for any multithreaded program
that uses netrc files. It would be nice to have a fix in place now that it's
been identified. I have a patch ready to to set _POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS for
Solaris very similar to Mischa Salle's suggestion, and his endorsement of that
approach is a positive sign. If I commit it now, we'll still have a full day of
autobuilds to check for Solaris problems (we have 3 Solaris autobuilds at the
moment). If anything looks fishy, there's still time to revert them both
before Wednesday.

>>> Dan