Re: survey reminder: curl and libcurl 2014

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 22:57:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014, dev wrote:

(I'm limiting my response to curl-library)

> Q: Female contributors and other minorities ?
>
> I gave up on the survey right there. I didn't know that "female" was a
> "minority" and I don't even know what a "minority" is anymore or why I would
> even care in a code project that addresses real communications needs.

Look around on one of the curl mailing lists and count the number of female
names and compare to the number of male names. I've done it. A few years ago
at least: http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2011/10/31/three-out-of-one-hundred/

I recognize that open source and technical software projects are often highly
unequally represented, especially between genders but we also tend to be more
western middle-age men than population and computer science student numbers
would otherwise suggest.

My numbers could even suggest that our project is "worse" than the average
open source projects in this regard. Why? I honestly don't know but it is not
I've made happen on purpose and that's one of the reasons why I added that
question. I honestly want to know what perception people have about it.

You can use that, or anything else, as a reason to not fill in the survey.
That's fine. I can't please everyone and I don't want to. I've just added a
bunch of question that I've been wondering about and from the 155 answers
we've got so far I actually think the responses are going to help us out.
Quite a lot.