Re: localhost problem on Mac?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:45:03 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014, Fabian Frank wrote:

> I just tried to reproduce this on my Mac to see if I can come up with a fix.
> This might turn out to be a very interesting bug. FYI, I have native IPv6 in
> addition to IPv4 at home, where I am testing right now.

I posted this patch in the bug report but possibly it is easier to continue
here. The patch fixes the issue for me, but I'm not sure I managed to repeat
the problem the same way on Linux.

What I did to repeat the problem:

  1 - build with the stock resolver

  2 - have localhost for ::1, fe80::1 and 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts so that there
      are two IPv6 and one IPv4 address

  3 - run "curl localhost:9999" (no server on that port, all connects fail)

Fabian responded in the bug report saying my patch _didn't_ fix the problem
for him but we haven't work out why it doesn't but it would then of course
indicate that the Mac problem is not identical to the problem I could repeat.