Re: localhost problem on Mac?

From: Fabian Frank <fabian.frank.de_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:48:46 -0700

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Nick Zitzmann <nick_at_chronosnet.com> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2014, at 6:02 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
>
> > I can't seem to repeat this problem on Linux so I'd like to ask if
> someone on Mac can try it and see if this causes any problems? (I don't
> have any to try this on.)
> >
> > The bug is https://sourceforge.net/p/curl/bugs/1337/ and claims to make
> curl fail to resolve 'localhost' properly and in that case only try the
> IPv6 addresses.
> >
> > Anyone?
>
> I'm seeing this too. It looks like it tries using IPv6, fails, and doesn't
> bother trying again using IPv4:

I just tried to reproduce this on my Mac to see if I can come up with a
fix. This might turn out to be a very interesting bug. FYI, I have native
IPv6 in addition to IPv4 at home, where I am testing right now.

With my Mac connected to my home network (with native v4 and v6), the bug
does not reproduce. If I disconnect from my v6 network (turn off WiFi), the
bug suddenly starts to reproduce. When I build cURL on my Mac it uses
getaddrinfo. wget (from macports, using getaddrinfo) and the MacOS curl
(interestingly uses c-ares) do not suffer from this bug. So the good news
is that I can reproduce it, hopefully I can follow up with a patch.

Regards,
Fabian