Re: Reading gmail with imap unsuccessful on Win32

From: Mark Hessling <mark_at_rexx.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 21:08:29 +1000

On 26/10/13 20:26, Steve Holme wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2013, Mark Hessling wrote:
>
>> Have removed the --cacert and --cert-type switches and replaced
>> them with -k. Exactly the same result :-(
> Very strange... I know this is a typical developer response but the

Yes as a developer I use this often too :-)

> following is working for me:
>
> curld -v -k -u user:pass imaps://imap.gmail.com:993/INBOX -X "SEARCH UNSEEN"
>
> Note that I don't have a google account so I get "curl: (67) Authentication
> failed: 78" back from curl but at least it gets past the SSL connection.
>
> I'm using both the following release as well as my own build of the latest
> repository code:
>
> curl 7.33.0 (x86_64-pc-win32) libcurl/7.33.0 OpenSSL/1.0.0k zlib/1.2.8
> WinIDN
> libssh2/1.4.3 librtmp/2.3
> Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap pop3 pop3s
> rtmp
> rtsp scp sftp smtp smtps telnet tftp
> Features: AsynchDNS GSS-Negotiate IDN Largefile NTLM SSL SSPI libz
>
> Are you able to build the code yourself to see if you have the same problem
> with the latest code base?
Hi Steve,

I could, but was hoping to use the distributed builds.

However, I have tracked it down to my password.
With an invalid password I get the SSL handshake and the Authentication
failed: 78.

So I tried leaving the password off the command line and entered the
password manually. Same result as the original problem.
Seems that my password triggers some issue in the Windows code, but NOT
in the Linux code.

I have tracked it down to a semi-colon in my password. Here are the
results of various combinations:
- password on command line, with semi-colon: A001 LOGOUT
- password on command line, without semi-colon: SSL handshake and
Authentication Failed: 78
- password entered manually, with semi-colon: A001 LOGOUT
- password entered manually, without semi-colon: SSL handshake and
Authentication Failed: 78

Can be repeated with an invalid username and a password of 'abc;def'

Time to change my password!!!

Cheers, Mark