git advice needed

From: John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 07:49:14 -0500

I have been using git-patch to submit changes and then after those
changes are committed, I want to update my local git copy with the
current state of the curl git repository.

With svn, all I have to do is an "svn update".

With git, if I do a git-pull, it usually errors out because it either
claims my local changes would be overwritten by merge or it claims that
there are conflicts that the automatic merge can not resolve.

When I try to see what the conflicts are, there are no visible
differences in the files. I do not know if that is a feature of the
cygwin implementation of git or what.

What is the best way for me to get my local git repository to reflect
the current trunk?

The work around that I have is to:

git merge --abort
git reset HEAD^ --soft