Re: Makefile adjustments to solve link error (on Windows 8, VC10)

From: <malinowsky_at_ftw.at>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 13:55:40 +0200

On 06.07.2013 13:47, Guenter wrote:
> Hi Boris,
> On 04.07.2013 17:25, malinowsky_at_FTW.at wrote:
>> running testcurl.pl on Windows 8, VC10, I had to remove the curl_rand.obj,
>> and add the dotdot.obj to make the linker happy.
>> With those changes both exe and lib were created successfully.
>>
>> See attached patch (for VC10, also included in the patch).
> 1st you cant just switch the Makefiles to use VC10 from now on - we want to keep backward
> compatiblity.

that diff file was showing the local patch I had to use. I have no intention to drop older
targets.

> 2nd it would help to understand why your patch is required with VC10 if you would post the
> error message you get when compiling with VC10;

trace: http://pastebin.com/hXHbm6Fr

error:
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'release\curl_rand.obj'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\VC\BIN\amd64\link.exe"' : return code '0x49d'
Stop.

after running link without curl_rand.obj, the following error showed while making curl.exe

libcurl.lib(url.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol Curl_dedotdotify
referenced in function parseurlandfillconn
curl.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\VC\BIN\amd64\link.exe"' : return code '0x460'
Stop.

> and 3rd you should explain from where dotdot.* is coming from, and where it is documented;
> a quick search didnt reveal anything useful, so please tell us a bit more ...

its in lib/dotdot.c

curl commit 7877619
"dotdot: introducing dot file path cleanup"

HTH