Re: Proposed changes to SSL comparison documentation

From: Nick Zitzmann <nick_at_chronosnet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 11:17:39 -0600

On May 5, 2013, at 4:00 PM, Rich Gray <rgray_at_plustechnologies.com> wrote:

> One thing I'm trying to come to grips with it what level of built-in support various operating systems provide. I'm struggling with how to distribute binaries which would drop in on various Unix-like platforms without the need for customers to install an additional package. That's an issue I intend to bring up in a separate thread sometime, but for now, it might be highly useful if this table could note SSL packages which are pre-installed with what OS.

Given the wide variety of GNU and BSD and Unix OSes out there, it would be next to impossible to keep a list and keep it up to date. Out of all TLS engines, OpenSSL is by far the most ubiquitous, and is available on almost every desktop OS not made by Microsoft (though OS X's OpenSSL is deprecated). NSS is available on every computer with Firefox installed, but it's not installed in a standard location for libraries on OS X and (I think) Windows. If your app uses GNOME, I think it's safe to assume GnuTLS is also installed.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>