Re: Proposed changes to SSL comparison documentation

From: Rich Gray <rgray_at_plustechnologies.com>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 18:00:30 -0400

Nick Zitzmann wrote:

> On May 4, 2013, at 4:56 PM, Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Generally speaking, I like what you've done here Nick... The comparison is a
>> lot more informative and information more useful. However I have a few
>> comments:
>>
>> * Would it be better to state *nix rather than Unix in the platform list?
>
> What about "POSIX"? That is a group that would include GNU, BSD, and Unix.

Perhaps less so now, but aren't there a lot of Unix-ish systems that don't
meet POSIX standards?? Seems like "Unix-like" would be a more generic
label? (But I'm no expert...)

One thing I'm trying to come to grips with it what level of built-in support
various operating systems provide. I'm struggling with how to distribute
binaries which would drop in on various Unix-like platforms without the need
for customers to install an additional package. That's an issue I intend to
bring up in a separate thread sometime, but for now, it might be highly
useful if this table could note SSL packages which are pre-installed with
what OS.

Great job!
Rich