libcurl for Android, iOS, Blackberry - c-ares and CURLOPT_NOSIGNAL option

From: Simon Fischer <fischer.simon_at_gmx.at>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:26:59 +0200 (CEST)
Hi everyone,

I'm developing a cross-plattform app for Android, iOS and Blackberry. I'll use libcurl only for HTTP/HTTPs GETs. Right now I'm in the process of compiling libcurl for the different plattforms and reading the libcurl documentation. As I would like to keep the file size of libcurl and related libraries as small as possible I'm wondering if the c-ares library is necessary or not. The documentation is not very clear about it.

From the documentation:
"When using multiple threads you should set the CURLOPT_NOSIGNAL option to 1 for all handles. Everything will or might work fine except that timeouts are not honored during the DNS lookup - which you can work around by building libcurl with c-ares support. c-ares is a library that provides asynchronous name resolves. On some platforms, libcurl simply will not function properly multi-threaded unless this option is set."

Does somebody know if Android, iOS and Blackberry are some of these plattforms where libcurl will not function properly multi-threaded without this option set? And what do you think do I need c-ares or not? I'm planning on running each request in his own thread.

Thank and regards,
Simon Fischer