RE: Incorrect Digest Username with Diegst Auth

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 23:18:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013, Steve Holme wrote:

> it looks like the username is URL decoded when it is part of the URL but not
> when passed via the --user argument.
>
> So the following should work:
>
> curl.exe --digest http://
> sip%3Aalice_at_example.com:password_at_system:8080/resource-lists/users/sip:alice@
> example.com/index
>
> But what I suggested in my last email won't at present.
>
> I can probably fix this as part of the other work I am doing, as I need to
> rework the parsing in setstropt_userpwd() but would like to hear the
> consensus on this.

-u works without decoding since that's the way we (I?) once did it and I have
tried to not break existing scripts or usage by introducing URL decoding
there. We sort of fixed the problem for libcurl by adding two separate options
for name and password (both provided without any encoding) so that libcurl
doesn't have to scan for a colon, but curl the tool still uses -u that accepts
both parts in a single argument and thus there's still a "colon problem" in
there.

The name and password in the URL has always been decoded, quite naturally.

So I don't know what you can fix there really without breaking something
old...