Re: Curl_resolv_timeout

From: Early Ehlinger <earlye_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 16:41:21 -0600

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Mar 2013, Early Ehlinger wrote:
>
> Threads and signals really don't mix very well.

Undoubtedly.

> Is anybody looking at an alternative to the sigsetjmp/siglongjmp timeout
>> implementation? If this really is what I'm encountering, I would hate to
>> give up DNS timeouts to keep the app from crashing.
>>

> We have two alternatives already: build with the threaded-resolver backend
> or the c-ares powered one.

I'll have to investigate getting this to happen. I'm developing on iOS,
and using a weird ruby script I found on github to drive the generation of
the framework crud that Xcode expects. That makes it very quick to get up
& running, but the drawback is that, since it's ruby and I'm a ruby newbie,
I'll have to figure out how to change the build config. Oh well - learning
is what makes all of this fun!

https://github.com/brunodecarvalho/curl-ios-build-scripts

> I can't think of any alternative to signals to abort the stock synchronous
> name resolver function. Can you?

I couldn't, but it looks like you actually have: avoid the stock
synchronous name resolver completely :-)

By the way, I want to take a minute to say thanks for being so responsive.
It's been years since I've had any questions about libcurl. Part of the
reason I pushed to use libcurl on this project is because I remember you
being very responsive, and even incorporating a patch or two from me. That
was what, a decade ago? I'm thrilled to see that hasn't changed at all!

--
Early Ehlinger