status update: multi-always

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:56:44 +0100 (CET)

Hi friends.

A few more days have passed so I thought it could be apporpriate to let you
know how thing go in my end.

First, my work is now visible here:
https://github.com/bagder/curl/tree/multi-always. I've experimented a bit with
how to do this with git so it may still move around a bit, so if you check
this out please have that in mind. There's some 6 commits right now that makes
the branch different from master.

Reminder of my goal here: my task is to make curl_easy_perform() a wrapper
function around curl_multi* and make everything internally be multi interface
only. Remove all code that need to behave differently depending on which
interface that was used.

that made it behave slightly different than the easy interface and therefore a
bunch of test cases failed. This of couse had the upside that I fixed some
actual bugs for multi interface users.

I've then had some problems to figure out how to handle curl_easy_recv() and
curl_easy_getinfo's CURLINFO_LASTSOCKET since they need to get hold of the
"last" connection and now when the old connection is always kept in a multi
handle the easy handle is further away from them. After merging Linus'
connection cache work I think I managed to cram in a solution that is decent.

As of this moment all tests run fine up until test 808. Test 808 does POP3
LIST and it fails miserably. It looks like a plain bug in the multi
interface's way of handling POP3 so this is probably a problem in master too
if we'd try this operation. I'm trying to figure out the best way forward...