Re: transfer closed with bytes remaining to read Windows 7 issue

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 22:40:52 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Bill Hoffman wrote:

>> I would start at investigating the actual TCP packets when the final parts
>> of that transfer arrived. Were there any bits/flags sent in any direction
>> that give any hints on what exactly happened and which side did what?
>>
> I am not that much of a TCP expert. What tools would you recommend for
> finding this out? We have access to the server and client machines.

I would suggest using wireshark, and once the connection has failed you can
save just the last say 100 packets with the TCP stream and attach that pcap
file in a follow up here. Could reveal something.

> One more small piece of information. We took a successful download of a
> file and chopped off the end of it to make it match the size of a failed
> file and they were still different. So, it seemed that there was something
> missing from the middle of the file.

That is indeed very curious. Can you investigate how they differ and if
there's a pattern over repeated test runs (and failures) ?