Re: Questions on building libcurl for Android

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 06:09:45 +0200

Hi Ram,
Am 29.08.2012 04:46, schrieb Guenter:
> Maybe tomorrow I will test same with MSYS on Win7 if my time permits
> (have no Cygwin on 7)
latest MSYS on Win7 Professional 64bit:
http://svwe10.itex.at/curl/buildlogs/curl_android_msys.txt

here's the MinGW/MSYS package I use:
http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/mingw/MinGW-4.7.0.7z

- edit C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\etc\fstab and add a line like:
c:\arm-linux-androideabi-4.4.3 /arm-linux-androideabi

- edit C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\etc\ and add before this block:
# MSYS runtime and wanting different paths searched first for files.
if [ $MSYSTEM == MINGW32 ]; then
   export PATH=".:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:$PATH"
these lines:
# Add arm-linux-androideabi to path
ANDROIDEABI_HOME=/arm-linux-androideabi
if [ -d "$ANDROIDEABI_HOME/bin" ]; then
   export PATH="$ANDROIDEABI_HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

- finally close the shell window and reopen so that the changes take
place; then from shell prompt try again:
$ arm-linux-androideabi-gcc -v
to make sure it works and there's no typo somewhere

so I can only say that both Cygwin and MSYS work like a charm - though
very slow; on Linux the crosscompile takes about 5-10 mins (dependent on
how many features with additional libs you enable) while on equally fast
Windows machines it takes 45-60 mins - but it works.
So its probably worth to consider installing some free virtualizing
software on your Windows box (f.e. VmWare or Oracle) and install Linux
as guest, or you might even find ready-to-use Linux images which are
suitable; the setup of such a software takes usually no longer than 10
mins, and from then on you save a lot of time for any further builds ... ;-)

Gün.