Re: no output wanted (resend)

From: Jakob Hirsch <jh_at_plonk.de>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 01:06:34 +0200

On 08.07.2012 22:44, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> The question is if we want to make CURLOPT_WRITEDATA set to NULL with
> CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION unset or set to NULL equal a callback that just
> return the number of bytes it gets. As we can clearly do that without

The only good reason I can think of to make it _not_ functionally
equivalent is that it could hide errors when somebody is playing around
with the file handle and erroneously sets it to NULL. But then again
this person could appreciate that this prevents his application from
crashing.

> It seems like a very small use case for another special case in the code
> that isn't very easy guessable. Or what do others think? Am I just being

I'm a little surprised that nobody wanted this before. Using libcurl to
call some web interface (and not caring about the reply data when using
something different than GET) seemed self-evident to me...