Re: Peer review! SecureTransport (native SSL on iOS/OS X) patch

From: Nick Zitzmann <nick_at_chronosnet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:37:12 -0600

On Jun 25, 2012, at 9:28 AM, Yang Tse wrote:

> Although 'SecureTransport' is certainly a valid literal to identify
> apple's libsecurity interface, the 'secure transport' concept is too
> generic in order to use it as the name of some libcurl internal names
> that would result in extra difficulties for newcomers of libcurl's
> code base.
>
> Given that both iOS and Mac OS X have their roots in Darwin I suggest
> doing the following changes to the patch you posted:
>
> 1) Rename securetransport.[ch] files to curl_darwinssl.[ch]
> 2) Change USE_SECURETRANSPORT to USE_DARWINSSL
> 3) Change MACSSL_ENABLED to DARWINSSL_ENABLED
> 4) Change "MACSSL_" to "DARWINSSL_"
> 5) Change configure option '--with-macssl' to '--with-darwinssl', or
> --with-darwin-ssl'.

I'm okay with this. I'll make that change.

> 6) Function Curl_st_version(). No problem at all and ok to first part
> of returned literal 'SecureTransport'. But...
>
> The slash and numeric version part of the string should not be
> returned if this libsecurity is actually a system or framework library
> which cannot be fixed and provided by any other one except apple.

Okay, so you're saying it should just return "SecureTransport" with no version number? I thought the version number might be useful for debugging...

> What's the actual availability of libsecurity source code?

Go to <http://www.opensource.apple.com/>, select a version of OS X or iOS, and scroll down until you find a package with a name starting with "Security" with a capital S. That is where you'll find the framework source code.

The API itself is present in all releases of OS X and iOS.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>