Re: Windows SSPI Schannel implementation ready

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:40:03 +0200

Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not opposed to not including the version number - this would be
> consistent to what WinIDN displays, [...]

Ok, then we have consensus then.

> I also think, as per the discussion I started 6 weeks ago which I thought we
> had decided to do, hence my work here, was that the package name "WinSSPI",
> "Windows SSPI" or "SSPI-Windows-native" should be displayed for the other
> features that SSPI offers not just the SChannel SSL support - again this is
> synonymous to the other Security Providers that curl uses and provides
> consistency.

I asked for a patch april 23.
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2012-04/0259.html

It has not been provided until june 10.
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2012-06/0111.html

One of the reasons for which I personally dislike big patches is that
these usually hide changes which are not properly discussed, or
discussed with such lengthy threads that no one knows finally what's
going on, making it necessary to fully analyze resulting patch in
order to know what changes it really introduces. This is what I'm
doing now. I might have further objections, so don't be surprised if I
mention or fix something else.

Given that it seems we've reached consensus on that you can live
without the numeric part of the string, and that I can live with some
schannel specific identifier, I'm pushing right now a patch with the
following commit message:

schannel: remove version number and identify its use with 'schannel' literal

Version number is removed in order to make this info consistent with
how we do it with other MS and Linux system libraries for which we
don't provide this info.

Identifier changed from 'WinSSPI' to 'schannel' given that this is the
actual provider of the SSL/TLS support. libcurl can still be built
with SSPI and without SCHANNEL support.

--
-=[Yang]=-