Re: SMTP Patches

From: William Betts <william.betts_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 15:37:47 -0700

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> First of all my apologies if this email doesn't appear in the thread but
> Hotmail seems to have lost your emails so I've had to copy the content from
> the curl website :(
>
> > > I've added functionality to the most recent version of curl (from git
> > > 7.26.1) that will allow you to set the HELO string. Currently it's
> > > CURLOPT_MAIL_HELO and will control both EHLO and HELO strings that are
> > > sent. If the option is left out it simply defaults to what it does now.
> > > didn't see a need to make two separate options (CURLOPT_MAIL_EHLO and
> > > CURLOPT_MAIL_HELO), because they should send the same thing when
> > > identifying its self.
>
> Thank you for the patch - it is much appreciated.
>
> However, what are the benefits to supplying a user defined HELO / EHLO
> string in the URL? For example:
>
> smtp://mail.example.com/client.example.com
>
> Personally, I think the URL approach is a bit hacky but it does mean we
> don't need to introduce another CURLOPT and it's one less function call for
> the programmer to do ;-)
>
> > Sorry for the reply, but if it's easier for anyone you can also get the
> > patches from github.
> >

> https://github.com/epicheals/One-Off/tree/master/curl/patches/7.26.1-DEV/smt
> p-user-supplied-helo-string
> > In the future would it be easier to just submit patches this way or
> attach
> > them in the email like I did originally?
>
> Patches in email are the preferred way to submit modifications.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Steve

Hello Steve,

I didn't realize that you could set the helo string like that! I guess
there isn't much benefit to it other than I
think it looks better. If I had a choice between the two I'd rather use the
CURLOPT_MAIL_HELO option.
To me it stands out better as to what it does.

I'd also like to add in a header and a body option. Those options in my
opinion would make it easier to send
customized email. I might be wrong, but from what I've seen the standard
way to send the actual body with
headers appears to be reading a file in or using a callback. I mainly use
libcurl with PHP so my line of
thought might not really be aligned with that of people who use it with
C/C++.

Best Regards,
William