Re: libcurl compiling under zOS Unix system services

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 01:15:02 +0200

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Peter Ondruška
<peter.ondruska+curl_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Configured with configure script
>
>> Are you using native compiler or gcc? Whose headers are being used?
>
> Using native compiler here.

Ok, I assume that this is XL C. But from what I've googled on z/OS it
can be invoked using either the 'c89 utility' or the 'xlc utility',
but it seems that each of these use different default options.

>> Does sys/poll.h and poll.h exist irregardless of compiler being used?
>>
>> Is poll.h contrary to sys/poll.h the appropriate header to include
>> always in lib/select.h for zOS?
>
> My guess poll.h would be the appropriate header based on IBM's documentation:
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r13/topic/com.ibm.zos.r13.bpxbd00/hpoll.htm#hpoll
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r13/topic/com.ibm.zos.r13.bpxbd00/poll.htm#poll
> However I am unable to find out if this is consistent across different versions.

Yep it seems that the one that should get included is 'poll.h'.

Now what worries me is is why does configure script actually detect
that there exists a 'sys/poll.h' header file.

First option would be that it has trully detected a 'sys/poll.h'
header file. And it is simply a matter of not using it when on
__MVS__.

Second option is that 'sys/poll.h' header file does not exist, but
configure fails to properly detect this, which could happen, for
example, if the compiler is not accepting the flag that instructs it
to not generate an object file upon compilation failure, and possibly
others.

In case it is the second option (sys/poll.h not existing) please send
me off-list full output of configure script and also generated
config.log file. There are several things that could be going wrong.

--
-=[Yang]=-