Re: Using libcurl on top of lwip on POSIX embedded platform (take 2)

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:07:59 +0100

Hi,
Am 17.03.2012 22:36, schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012, Mason wrote:
>> On my platform, at boot-time, the network stack is one of the first
>> things initialized, long before any thread has had a chance to run
>> libcurl code. Perhaps this is a Windows peculiarity?
>
> How can it be Windows specific? Isn't it rather about how a system or
> application is supposed to initialize lwip? What does lwip documentation
> or tradition say?
I think the main difference is here that Windows has its own network
stack, and lwip is used as alternate stack, similar to using wattcp;
this would be the same as if you have a stadard Linux with its
bsd-socket network stack, and then decide to link/use libcurl with lwip
stack - in this case I guess its required to initialize the lwip stack
too; however if lwip is the only and main network stack on the machine
then sure that it is already initialized; so the right thing would be
that we check 1st if the lwip stack is already initialized, and only do
it self from libcurl of not - however I've no idea if such a check is
possible.
If its not possible to check if initialisation is required or not then
its probably worth to talk to the lwip team and suggest an enhancement
to lwip_init() so that it does simply nothing if the stack is already
initialized.

Gün.