Re: static libcurl warnings

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 23:16:54 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Arthur Murray wrote:

> libcurl.a(curl_addrinfo.o): In function `Curl_getaddrinfo_ex':
> curl_addrinfo.c:(.text+0x30e): warning: Using 'getaddrinfo' in statically
> linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc
> version used for linking
>
> I use libcurl compiled with c-ares.

Ouch. It really should not have any code included that uses getaddrinfo() when
c-ares is used... I've just pushed a commit to the git repo that removes it
from the build in this case:

  https://github.com/bagder/curl/commit/9f20379fe445d

> Is there anything I should be doing to get rid of the causes of these
> warnings so the binary is portable? I know they are only warnings, but are
> non-portable getpwuid and getaddrinfo absolutely necessary?

getpwuid is used by the .netrc parser code and there's no build time option to
disable that, although you can of course just edit the source code to not use
it.