RE: Support for authentication DIGEST-MD5 for SMTP

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:00:46 +0000

Hi Guys,

> > That helps a lot Steve, thanks for the detailed info.
> >
> > I will let you know if I hit a rock during development :-)
>
> There was some talk on this list recently of adding SASL
> authentication, either to POP-3 or SMTP (I forget which).
> You may want to search for that thread before digging in.

There was... If I remember correctly it was around August time and whilst
specifically it was related to SMTP at the time, we were talking about POP3
and IMAP as well, especially as the POP3 module doesn't currently support
any other authentication mechanisms apart from plain text user / pass
combination :(

I have a bug on me at the moment, in the software that I am working on, to
add NTLM authentication to POP3 but this is low priority at present so if
someone beats me to it in libcurl then great but if not it is on my to do
list ;-)

Kind Regards

Steve