Re: PATCH: Establishing data connections in FTP has been made non-blocking for multi interface

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 00:21:45 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011, Gokhan Sengun wrote:

> 1- There is a typo in function Curl_do_more(), variable "completed" needs to
> be dereferenced, currently the if statement is always true.

Oops! Thanks, fixed, committed and pushed.

> ftp_do_more() returns after accepting the server connect however it needs to
> fall through and set "*complete" to TRUE before exit from the function.

Right, yes that makes sense. I've applied this little fix as well and pushed
it too.

> I think it will be a good idea to simulate
> not-immediately-available-but-after-a-while-available-data-connection-establishment-case
> with a test. I do not have much experience with the test system to simulate
> this.

Well, the problem with simulating long/slow latency is not so much about the
test systsem but just plain technology: there aren't really any good portable
ways to do it. When running on Linux and I want to do some manual tests I
usually do the tc-trick I wrote up here:

http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2010/12/14/add-latency-to-localhost/

... but we run the test suite on a wide range of machines so I would much
rather have a portable approach. One of course requiring root access is out of
the question for normal tests.

Is there a way to cheat and get almost the same effect?