Re: correlating changelog entries to bugtracker issues

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:39:51 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011, Frank Meier wrote:

> I was wondering, if there is a convenient way of getting more infos about a
> fixed bug from the changelog (http://curl.haxx.se/changes.html). Maybe a
> link to the bugtracker issue.

I try make us include such information in the commit messages when we commit
bug fixes, with a "Bug:" line that points to a URL or similar with futher info
of the report of a problem. That info would then be included in the generated
changelog. Unfortunately, we sometimes forget to include that info.

> For example I saw the changelog (7.23.0) entry: fix endless loop upon
> transport connection timeout, I'm not sure does this refer to
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=3414085&group_id=976
> or is it a different issue

In this particular case the bug report clearly identifies a commit that
fixed the problem: "The issue was fixed with commit 1bab38780b. Thank you!"

$ git show 1bab38780b

commit 1bab38780b55cc4bd39267f54aacb49ddeb00eb2
Author: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Oct 14 17:34:42 2011 +0200

     url.c: fix endless loop upon transport connection timeout

     Jerry Wu detected and provided detailed info about this issue.

$ git describe --contains 1bab38780b
curl-7_23_0~79

Which means 7.23.0 includes that particular commit!