RE: Enhancing POP3 to support extra commands

From: Steve Holme <steve_holme_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 17:17:04 +0000

Hi Dan,

> It makes sense, but surely some mailers out there already support a
similar
> POP3 syntax. It would be good to maintain some compatibility with existing
> practise (assuming there is some) given that there doesn't seem to be an
> official POP-3 URL syntax for such commands.

Good idea.

> Have you researched to see if other mailers do that? mutt, for example,
> allows pop3 URL syntax only to access a mailbox and not to manipulate
> messages so the path part of the URL is ignored, so unfortunately there's
> no precedence there.

I have done a little research and couldn't really find anything... except
RFC2384:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2384

This specifies a format for URL based connection strings (including
authentication) for pop3 but not message manipulation - similar to mutt I
guess.

I was also able to find:

* GNU mailutils but again this is the same as the RFC and mutt.
* XMLBlaster which has support for email protocol plugins but pop3 is only
supported with /INBOX as the only URL
* A couple of PHP based utilities which use pop3:// as the url and again
don't support message manipulation (I'm guessing they're using libcurl under
the hood ;-) )

Just as a side note: It was interesting to see that the RFC, mutt and
XMLBlaster use slightly different schemes in the URL - pop:// for non-SSL
based connections and pops:// for SSL connections whilst we use pop3:// and
pop3s.

I will keep on searching and see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Steve