Re: MemoryTracking internal adjustments

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:05:54 +0200

2011/8/16 Dan Fandrich wrote:

> [...]
>
> valgrind will do these checks already, and better, too, but valgrind is
> not available on all platforms that curl supports.  This feature could
> catch problems that only show up on those platforms, so I'd hate to see
> it be unceremoniously dropped.

I admit that 'magic filling' might to some point serve its purpose on
those builds which do not use valgrind and when the compiler being
used is not inserting/using extra code to perform runtime checks to
detect uninitialized pointers and vars.

Main point in wanting to drop the 'magic filling' is that it defeats
valgrind and compiler runtime checks of uninitialized pointers and
vars.

Given that valgrind is generally available on linux systems would it
be ok for you if the 'magic filling' got #ifdef'ed out when __linux__
is defined at compile time?

--
-=[Yang]=-