Re: libcurl - performance

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:40:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Yoav Einav wrote:

> I was wondering if you've any real numbers to show or any tested benchmarks,
> so I can compare it to other possibilities, such as serf (by Apache).

There have been some numbers mentioned back in the days but there are no good
recent comparative tests being done or publicized that I know of.

Also, the number of specifics YOU are interested in would be even less likely
to be tested in such tests anyway.

Feel free to start working on producing such. Possibly there will be more
interested people that would join in and help!

I wrote a little about my view on curl performance in a blog post last year:

         http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2010/08/03/curl-performance/

> Moreover, any comparison between libcurl and curlpp (libcurl c++ wrapper)
> will be helpful as well.

The libcurl bindings usually are thin wrappers that basically convert from the
C ways to the other language way of doing things so they should rarely cause
any significant loss in speed. curlpp is not exception to that afaik.

I think the biggest problem you face with some of the bindings that they don't
keep up the development pace with libcurl itself all the time so depending on
what you chose and how much effort you're willing to put in yourself, you
sometimes end up lagging behind a bit from being able to take advantage of the
latest libcurl options and features.