Possible quirks I found in building static windows curl with ssl support

From: Tom Wright <tom_at_gettotallyrad.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 11:59:08 -0700

Hi,

This email is referring to some windows make files in curl-7.21.6

I recently went on a big adventure compiling a static libcurl_a.lib for Windows and came across some things that set off some red flags.

In curl-7.21.6\winbuild\Makefile.vc:62 is this !IF block:

!IF "$(WITH_SSL)"=="dll"
USE_SSL = true
SSL=dll
!ELSEIF "$(WITH_SSL)"=="static"
USE_SSL = true
SSL=dll
!ENDIF

Similarly in curl-7.21.6\winbuild\MakefileBuild.vc:97

!IF "$(WITH_SSL)"=="dll"
SSL_LIBS = libeay32.lib ssleay32.lib
USE_SSL = true
SSL=dll
!ELSEIF "$(WITH_SSL)"=="static"
SSL_LIBS = libeay32.lib ssleay32.lib
USE_SSL = true
SSL=dll
!ENDIF

it seems to me the !ELSEIF clause should have SSL=static instead, is there some reason this is not the case? I eventually succeeded in compiling a static lib for windows but I don't remember if changing this was the silver bullet or not.

Also in curl-7.21.6\winbuild\MakefileBuild.vc:184 is a RTLIBCFG variable that doesn't seem to be documented as an option or explicitly set to any default (as far as I can tell) and for some people (me) it's very important. It was a little confusing to pick mode=static and see /MD on the cl.exe command line.

- Tom Wright
www.gettotallyrad.com