Re: Getting libcurl running on a microcontroller

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 11:55:50 -0800

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 07:40:24PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, richardcavell_at_mail.com wrote:
> >What's my best bet for a microcontroller
> >platform that can run libcurl adequately?
>
> These days you can find very small and cheap 32bit "microcontrollers"
> (usually called SoCs now) that are capable of running Linux just fine
> and I would recommend one of those.
>
> Linux is not a requirement for libcurl, you can most certainly use an
> RTOS if it just has a decent enough socket API but I don't have a lot
> of first-hand experience of libcurl on RTOSes myself.

The end of the file docs/INSTALL lists a bunch of operating systems on
which libcurl has successfully been run. It's not a comprehensive list,
but there are a number of RTOSes listed there. It's probably possible
to squeeze a simple networking app running libcurl and an RTOS into a
32 MHz microcontroller with 256 KiB of memory, but you'll save yourself a lot
of integration effort if you just buy a cheap, overpowered SBC running
a full OS (like Linux) like a Beagleboard (which is only $150).
http://www.linuxfordevices.com lists bunches of other similar boards.

>>> Dan