Re: Building universal libcurl on Mac OS X 10.5

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:17:49 -0800

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 06:38:38PM -0500, Leo wrote:
> Is there an established way of building curl as Universal Binary?

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of making OS X's universal binaries,
but I assume that the compiler simply makes three passes through each
source file for each architecture specified on the command-line. The way
curl is built is not compatible with that method; it must be configured for
each architecture before it is built. That means that the three passes
for three architectures must be each be started with a 'make clean' and
end with a curl binary for one architecture.

Presumably, OS X provides a tool to create a single fat binary out of
individual binaries for each architecture. If so, then you can build curl
three times from start to finish, then use that tool to combine the
resulting binaries into one.

>>> Dan