Re: c-ares refreshing resolv.conf

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 22:11:56 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Dima Tisnek wrote:

> I think explicit (a)res_init is an ugly hack, in glibc too.

I would rather call it ares_reload() or something...

> If c-ares can only reload dns servers (and other settings) explicitely, then
> it ought to export all the files (or registry keys) that it may consider.
> I'm not entirely sure if that's a wise thing to do, as tracking those is an
> extra dependency for the user.
>
> I'll start with explicit reload function, and add a configurable automatic
> kludge that polls every resolution timeout for now. When that works, it's up
> to Daniel to include that into trunk or not.

I could see a use for some kind of timeout option that makes c-ares
automatically reload the data after some kind of timeout or similar.

But really, discussions and patches about possible c-ares improvements and
features should be taken to the c-ares mailing list instead of here. Believe
it or not, but c-ares is used by several other softwares than libcurl and
others may have different ideas and suggestions on this topic!