Re: running tests windows, without shell

From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 17:09:36 +0100

hi Yang,

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Given that the LD_PRELOAD mechanism on Windows would need to be
> replaced by some kind of dll injection, and that the LD_PRELOADing is
> only for release shared builds I would simply drop building test
> harness libhostname library for any Windows target. Leaving the
> injection hooks built into a release library would not be a good
> thing.

It is possible to hook (almost) any APIs for an exe too, at least
using recent VC/crt (no idea about mingw, which relies on vc6 crt
anyway). I'm not sure if it is worth the initial effort.

> Debug builds override system's gethostname() using CURL_GETHOSTNAME
> environment variable, no problem here with this on Windows. So debug
> builds would should be capable of running the 20+ tests that require
> system's gethostname() overriding even on Windows.

That should be enough. Or do you see areas where testing using a
release build is required? in threaded environments maybe, are there
any tests to test concurency/etc.?

Cheers,

--
Pierre