Re: running tests windows, without shell

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:56:21 +0100

2010/12/28 Guenter wrote:

Hi Gün,

> although this seems true for my MinGW autobuilds - I've just tried a native
> msys/MinGW build with a snapshot, and it breaks in sethostname.c:
> [...]
> strange though that sethostname.c is not compiled at all with my MinGW
> cross-compiles - at least I cant find it when I search through the autobuild
> logs ...
> any idea why?

Test harness sethostname.c is used to build test harness libhostname
library which is used to override system's gethostname() in
release-shared builds using the LD_PRELOAD mechanism.

Given that the LD_PRELOAD mechanism on Windows would need to be
replaced by some kind of dll injection, and that the LD_PRELOADing is
only for release shared builds I would simply drop building test
harness libhostname library for any Windows target. Leaving the
injection hooks built into a release library would not be a good
thing.

Debug builds override system's gethostname() using CURL_GETHOSTNAME
environment variable, no problem here with this on Windows. So debug
builds would should be capable of running the 20+ tests that require
system's gethostname() overriding even on Windows.

A small tweak in configure.ac should prevent test harness libhostname
library from being built for any Windows build. We better do this
change, which as a side effect would avoid the build problem you
exposed.

--
-=[Yang]=-